Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Random Squishy World Ball Story


Yesterday we had all staff meetings. After every all staff, they let people raid the giant box of crap. The giant box of crap is just that, a giant box of all the free crap people give the home. You know, the swag people give out when they want you to use their service. After nearly 10 years of working for the organization, I have quite a collection of crap on my desk.

Anyway, yesterday there was a squishy world ball.



What is the significance of a squishy world ball? Well, let me tell you. When I was younger I would go to Bible camp every summer. At the end of bible camp there was always a carnival. All the games were free, and they would give you prize tickets. When I was 7 years old I played the fishing game (do you remember those? The ones where you get the weird fishing pole with a giant magnet on it and you have to get it it in the fish's mouth to 'catch' it) like 10 gagillion times because on the prize table was a squishy world ball, and I was determined to get it. It took me all day, but I finally won enough tickets to get the squishy world ball. It became my prized possession.

It was still my favorite toy when school started, and I would play with it during recess since I was SUPER shy and didn't really talk to people. One day, Dan Honeywell took my ball and threw it onto the roof of the school. I started climbing the gutter, trying to get on the roof (I was a champion tree climber back then) but the teacher saw me and made me get down. Everyday at recess I would stare at the roof, plotting ways to get up there. On Saturday my cousin and I went to the school and climbed on the roof to retrieve it...but it was no where to be found. I searched the ball bin for weeks hoping the custodians had put it in there when retrieving the other balls that ended up on the roof, but I never saw it again.

Now, 20 years later I once again have a squishy world ball. It sits next to the Leonidas pig on my desk, and everything has come full circle.

/end random story

No comments:

Post a Comment